If a clinical case is suspected, contact an infectious diseases physician or a medical virologist or a medical microbiologist immediately.

When assessing a patient who may require rabies post-exposure prophylaxis following an animal bite, scratch or lick, please see the latest guidance from Public Health England at https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/rabies-risk-assessment-post-exposure-treatment-management
If Rabies immunoglobulin is required, please contact the virology consultant on call.


Laboratory Services Home Page