- CSF and Blood Cultures are the starting points for investigation - see "cerbrospinal fluid"
- If BACTERIAL meningitis is suspected, consider -
- a. additional samples such as throat swab for culture (Bacteriology) and antigen detection in 5ml clotted blood and 10-20ml urine (Bacteriology);
- b. infection control measures, viz. notification, and nose and throat swabs from and chemoprophylaxis for close contacts;
- If VIRAL meningitis is a possibility, consider -
- a. throat swab (in VIROCULT swab) and a stool sample for virus PCR (Virology);
- b. 5ml clotted blood, acute and convalescent, for serology (Virology).
Laboratory Services Home Page